Black Belt Instructors
- Began practicing Judo in 1966
- Sensei Brian founded the Ottawa Judo Club in 1986
- The founder of the Ottawa Judo Club, Chief Instructor and Technical Director for the past 25 years
Favourite Technique: Okuri Ashi Harai
- Government of Canada Award for Outstanding service contribution as a volunteer with Judo Canada in 2005
- Awarded the Syl Apps Special Achievement Award by the Minister of Health Promotion for distinguished contribution in the field of Amateur Sport
- Award Recipient of the Joseph Lestrange Award given for Outstanding Contribution to Judo in Ontario in 2005 and 2007
- Judo Canada Board of Director (Director for Ontario) 2016 to Present
- Member of the Ontario High Performance Sport Initiative Committee (OHPSI) 2012 to present.
- Member of the Quest for Gold Athlete Assistance Program.
- First Vice-President of Judo Ontario 2014 – 2016
- President of Judo Ontario 2010 – 2014
- Vice President of Judo Ontario September 2008 to 2010
- Quest for Gold Chairman for Judo Ontario 2006 to present. Awards athletes financial assistance to enhance their training development
- Coaching Coordinator of Judo Ontario 2004 to 2008
- Provincial Coach for the Ontario Provincial Team from 2000 to 2007
- Member of the High Performance Committee of Judo Ontario from 2002 to 2008
- Represented Judo Ontario Internationally as Provincial Coach at the U.S. Open 2004 to 2007
- Board of Director for Judo Ontario for 2004 to present
- Judo Canada Editorial Committee (Judo Reference Manual for Coach/Instructor Manual) 2005
- Judo Ontario Junior Development Chair 2006
- National Coaching Certified Level 2
- Certified Personal Trainer through the Sport Performance Institute
- Tournament/Technical Director of Ontario Open/Hatashita International 2006, 2007, 2008
- Tournament Chairman/Director of the 2008 Juvenile/Junior Canadian Nationals 2008
- Team Manager of Canada Winter Games in Whitehorse Yukon 2007
- Produced multiple provincial and National medalists over the past 2 decades.
Thoughts on Judo: Judo is a vehicle to help people reach their potential both physically and mentally
Favourite Quote: “We do not cease to play because we grow old, we grow old because we cease to play” — George Bernard Shaw
- Sensei Steve started with the Ottawa Judo Club in 1996
- He has been the Children Judo instructor for over 15 years
- NCCP Coaching Certified
Favourite Technique: Harai Goshi
- Recognized by Judo Ontario for Outstanding Volunteer Contribution in 2013 and 2007
- East Region Board of Directors – Treasurer 2006 to Present
- Judo Canada Tournament Commission (Sub Committee)
- Tournament Director for 2015 East Region Judo Championships
- Draw Master for the Hatashita International Judo Championships 2006 to Present
- Draw Master for the 2004 to 2014 Ontario Open
- Chair of the Tournament Draw Committee of Judo Ontario 2006 to Present
Thoughts on Judo: The greatest joy I get from judo is to be able to give back to the sport I love by teaching our youth.
Elena Vinogradov – Fundamental Class Instructor
- Started Judo in USSR in 1983
- Returned to Judo as a member of the Ottawa Judo Club in 2001
- Children’s Classes Assistant since 2012
- Children/Youth/Adult Classes Instructor since 2014
- NCCP Level 2 certified
- Moscow Universities Judo Championship – Gold Medalist in 1988, 1889, Silver Medalist in 1990
- Moscow Universities Sambo Championship – Gold in 1989
- PanAm Masters Silver Medalist (2007, 2009), PanAm Masters Open Division Bronze Medalist (2009)
Favourite Technique: Sume Gaeshi
- Sensei Ruth started to practice Judo at the age of 23 when she was in Fukuoka, Japan
- She started attending Sensei Brian’s judo classes at Carleton University in 2001 and then joined the Ottawa Judo Club
- She has been an instructor for the Youth program since 2006
Favourite Technique: Tani Otoshi and Drop Seoi Nage
- HIGH FIVE – Principles of Healthy Child Child Development Certification and Quest 200 received in 2006
- Completed her first ever judo tournament in 2008, earning a silver medal
Thoughts on Judo: Judo is a great sport that teaches individuals how to respect each other regardless of ability
Favourite Quote: “Fear is just excitement in need of attitude adjustment.” — Unknown
- Began practicing Judo in 1978 in Vietnam
- 6-time Provincial Champion
- 2-time National Champion
- 6 years full time in high performance training
- NCCP Coaching Certified
Favourite Techniques: Hane Goshi
Thoughts on Judo: Training in judo is training of the mind and the body
Favourite Quote: “To uncover your true potential you must first find your own limits and then you have to have the courage to blow past them” — Picabo Street
- Started Judo at the Royal Military College of Canada in 1997
- Military posting lead me to Judo training opportunities in Victoria, Quebec City, Kingston, Halifax and Ottawa
- Trained as a club member and instructor at the Atlantic Training Centre
- NCCP Certified
- Promoted to Sho-dan in 2003
- Instructor at the Atlantic Training Centre in Halifax
Favourite Technique: Ko-uchi-gari, Tomoe-nage and Waki Gatami
Favourite Quote: “Many of life’s failures are those people who did not realize how close to success they were when they gave up.” –Thomas Edison
- After 15 years in Aikido, Sensei Howard started with the Ottawa Judo Club in 1994
- He has been the OJC gokyo and kata instructor for 10 years
Favourite Technique: Any sutemi
- Member of Team Ontario at the Senior Canadian Judo Kata Championships in the Nage No Kata division 2006.
- Board of Directors – Judo Ontario East Region 1996 to 1999
- National Coaching Certified Level 2.
Thoughts on Judo: Judo is for life – learn to learn with your eyes, ears and body.
Favourite Quote: “The time has come, the walrus said, to speak of many things…” — Lewis Caroll.
Sensei Mitch Belleau – Adult Class Instructor
Judo Experience: 19 years
Total 30 years of martial arts training
After 11 years in Aikido, Sensei Mitch started with the Ottawa Judo Club in 1996.
Sensei Mitch was promoted to Sho-dan Black Belt in 2006 and Nidan Black Belt on April 21, 2013
Favourite Technique: Ouchi Gari.
- Hatashita International Tournament Volunteer Committee 2006 and 2007.
- Gold Medalist at the Ajax Budokan Heavy Weight Masters Division 2008.
- Silver Medalist at The 2007 Canadian Masters Open Heavy Weight Division.
Thoughts on Judo: Judo is like a flowing river. Is always finds the path of least resistance.
Favourite Quote: “If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves. Moving, Be like water: Still, Be like a mirror: respond like an echo” — Bruce Lee.
- 40 years martial arts experience
- Started Judo in 1967
- Join Ottawa Judo club 2005
- Yondan (4th Dan) Jui jitsu
- Nidan (2nd Dan) Chito Ryu Karate
- Shodan Judo
Ude Gaeshi and Kata Te Jime
NCCP Level 2 Coach (Weightlifting & Track)
NCCP Level 1 Coach (Judo)
Multiple Medal Placements in Sports Jui Jitsu from ’77 – ’83
Multiple Medal Placements in Karate from ’79 – ’83
“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.” — Robert A. Heinlein
- Practicing judo over 45 years
- Judo instructor in Vietnam 1983 -1989.
- Helped out with Judo classes at the OJC since 2006.
Hane Goshi, Ouchi Gari, Okuri Ashi Barai, Tani Otoshi.
Thoughts on Judo:
After a day’s work at the office, I almost enjoy being thrown around on a Judo mat. The OJC provides a supportive environment where one can come and practice at one’s own pace, be it working on some techniques with a kindred Judo spirit, or trying to keep up with those hard driving competitive athletes. Either way, it is a joy to experience the beauty of Judo.
Sensei Ryan Jordan – Fundamental Class Instructor
- Practicing Judo since 1977
- Teaching Judo since 2004
Favourite Technique: Soto Makikomi
- NCCP multisport A in Hockey
- NCCP multisport A in Lacrosse
- NCCP multisport B Hockey
- NCCP multisport B in Lacrosse
Favourite Quote: Sports taught me that I can make a mistake one minute, let it go, and be brilliant the next.” — Lynn Sherr